I am in the process of collecting the most preposterous statements I read on blogs and newspapers. At the end of the year a bracket will be formed and and a poll devised for YOU the readers to vote on. If you would like to nominate a preposterous statement, leave it the comments with a link.
32. Michelle Obama’s warm touch with queen draws gasps–CNN
Look at her! Look at how she touched her!! GASP!!!
33. If Christian and religious Liberals take over and begin to dominate the theology of Evangelical Christianity, then Democracy is doomed.—Blue Collar Todd
I love the smell of fear-mongering in the morning.
34. The Republican Party is the only thing standing in the way of Democrats taking over our churches and dictating what are the acceptable State sanctioned ways to be a Christian.–Blue Collar Todd
Sorry Bill of Rights, the Democrats are taking over!
35. You’re surrounded by fellow patriots—individuals who embrace the concepts like lower taxes, smaller government, and freedom for every individual—I’m talking about State’s Rights! – Texas Gov. Rick Perry (see video)
I was with him until he invoked a phrase well-known within American history to have nothing to do with the “freedom for every individual.” Where the heck is conservatism going these days?
36. The politicizing of faith in such a partisan way is always a theological mistake.—Jim Wallis posting on a blog called “God’s Politics”
No irony here, people, move along.
37. I’m hopeful. I think the law is on our side—Norm Coleman
What could possibly make him think that?
38. The Shack contains terribly wrong concepts about God. Plain and simple. If you think it doesn’t, then you’re well on your way to accepting the image of the Christa on the cross In a few years, you’ll be hanging her up in your church..–Mary Kassian
Um, no you won’t.
39. But it’s fair to give the new kids on the block a chance to get their learner’s permits first.– Katie Couric
Just keep shying away from criticism and spoon feeding us we will all watch you on the evening news. That’s the way we like it.
40. The Abusive Violent Husband god is not a straw man. There is a true believer hiding in a cave on the Afghan-Pakistan border somewhere.—Tim commenting on The New Christians
41. Even President Obama holds the intolerant and bigoted view that marriage should be reserved for a man and a woman.–Emma Ruby-Sachs
Worse than Hitler, I tell ya.
42. I get a chance to play for a great organization, I’m excited–Matthew Stafford
I’m sorry, but the Lions are a terrible team in a terrible town with terrible fans in a terrible stadium with terrible uniforms with terrible cheerleaders… everything is just terrible.
Past Preposterous Statements:
1. When more women are out about their atheism, it will help other women to be confident in their views. And when that gender shift starts to happen, all of the single atheist men and women will have us to thank when they find their life partner at one of our events. –Crystal Dervetski of Minnesota Atheists
2. Since I am a “five-pointer” and a “conservative,” I live with some suspicion among my bretheren. —Tim Sturch commenting on Challies.com
3. [Tom] Daschele is a [perpetrator] and victim of the system, which Christian professionals help enable. —Joe Carson commenting on The New Christians
4. A failure to act, and act now, will turn crisis into a catastrophe. —Barack Obama on passing the stimulus package.
5. “The symbolism of the delay suggested that Obama intends to continue to poach constituencies that were once reliably Republican.”– E.J. Dionne praising, as an act of bipartisan outreach, the one-day delay of Obama’s executive order to end the ban on funding abortions abroad.
6. I want God to hate me like a man does… —Mark Nikirk from the BHT commenting on feminist theology.
7. You can’t help laughing at a goodly number of the gags. —Doug Geivett on reasons to like “Pink Panther 2”
8. I think soon the Obama Administration will start punishing those who do good and rewarding evil.–Blue Collar Todd commenting on Between Two Worlds.
9. Ignoring Facebook friends and promoting terrorism might seem like a strange connection, but hear me out. Both attitudes are based on the same self-centered attitude.–Julie Clawson from One Hand Clapping.
10. For many people, economic recovery means “getting back to where we were a few months or years ago.” That means recovering our consumptive, greedy, unrestrained, undisciplined, irresponsible, and ecologically and socially unsustainable way of life.–Brian McLaren
11. There are many reasons why VHS is vastly superior to DVD…–Adam Omelianchuk posting on 20 Times Around the Block.
12. In this week’s town hall meetings, President Obama demonstrated an important aspect of his office: Pastor-in-Chief.–Diana Butler Bass posting on God’s Politics.
13. I feel like I can serve the people in a good way now because I have all kinds of insights that virtually no one has. —Rod Blagojevich
14.“I know bipartisanship when I see it.”–Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina
15. The problem with evangelicalism is the fact that a great majority of them are not saved. (like Oprah)–Louis commenting on JesusCreed.com
16. If we do not have an economic recover package 500 million Americans lose their jobs. —Nancy Pelosi
17. Until you’ve . . . eaten with a chimp and bathed with a chimp, you don’t know a chimp–Sandra Herold quoted in the New York Post.
18. This blog post killed a three year old little boy. —Julie Clawson posting on One Hand Clapping.
19. Whether it was the religious leaders who paid Judas 30 pieces of silver to deliver up our Savior, or the German clergy who found hope in the visage of Germany’s new leader named Hitler and who refused to decry his slaughter of the Jews, or whether it was the Orthodox clergy in Russia who worked, hand in hand, with the KGB to round up believers worshiping in apartments who obeyed God rather than men, or whether it is the emerging left apostates who cheerlead the most virulently pro-child killing President in US history, they are all the same underneath.–Ingrid Schlueter
20. “As soon as I took office, I asked this Congress to send me a recovery plan by Presidents Day that would put people back to work and put money in their pockets, not because I believe in bigger government — I don’t.–Barack Obama’s speech to Congress
21. President Obama’s message to the nation Tuesday night was plain and unequivocal: The era of bashing government is over. —E.J. Dionne Jr. commenting on Obama’s speech.
22. Well, the racism is coming from Rush Limbaugh. It’s taking root in Oklahoma —Bill Maher (starts at 2:37)
23. I believe that Mr. Spencer has accurately described the disease, but has badly missed on the remedy. The truth is – There is no remedy. We are at the end. Period. –Stuart Woods commenting on The Coming Evangelical Collapse at Pyromaniacs.
24. [Michael]Phelps is a Great American Hero, just like John Kerry!—securpo commenting on the Star Tribune.
25.If it wasn’t for articulate conservatives like Ann Coulter, both the Republican Party and the country would be in even worse shape than they are now, for there are extremely few articulate Republican politicians who can make the case for any principle.–Thomas Sowell
26. This president has inherited the most difficult first 100 days of any president, I would argue, including Franklin Roosevelt. –Joe Biden
27. Commenting on the Obamas’ marriage, “Only now are we discovering what a functioning marriage between equals actually looks like.”–Stacy Schiff
28. But it seems like ever since—well, I want to say ever since the Obamas got elected, it’s all sex all the time.–Susannah Breslin
29. Do parents still hit their kids? Yes, they do. It’s called “spanking”–Tony Jones
30. The non-existence of God is for me not an obstacle but a precondition to believing in God.–Klaas Hendrikse
31. Abortion is a blessing and our work is not done.–The Rev. Dr. Katherine Ragsdale