I have become a huge fan of ‘The Common Man’ Dan Cole’s “progrum” on KFAN. He has this bit that collects preposterous statements from sports journalists and others over the year, and then sets them in a March Madness NCAA tournament bracket. Each day for the last couple of weeks he has a had a poll for each matchup you can vote on and the winner advances. (Listen to this to get a sample of what I am talking about).
From now on, I am going to collect the most preposterous statements I read on blogs and newspapers, and at the end of the year I am going to form a bracket and devise a poll for YOU the readers to vote on. You are going to love it. Here my picks to far for January and February.
1. When more women are out about their atheism, it will help other women to be confident in their views. And when that gender shift starts to happen, all of the single atheist men and women will have us to thank when they find their life partner at one of our events. –Crystal Dervetski of Minnesota Atheists
Yeah, the first people you would thank at an atheist singles event are those trailblazers who have gone before you and declared their unbelief. Without them I would not have a spouse.
2. Since I am a “five-pointer” and a “conservative,” I live with some suspicion among my bretheren. —Tim Sturch commenting on Challies.com
Well at least he’s honest.
3. [Tom] Daschele [sic] is a [perpetrator] and victim of the system, which Christian professionals help enable. —Joe Carson commenting on The New Christians
Because Christians haven’t transformed the fabric of society Daschle didn’t pay his taxes!
4. A failure to act, and act now, will turn crisis into a catastrophe. —Barack Obama on passing the stimulus package.
This from the man who said “we have chosen hope over fear” at his inaugural two weeks earlier.
5. “The symbolism of the delay suggested that Obama intends to continue to poach constituencies that were once reliably Republican.”– E.J. Dionne praising, as an act of bipartisan outreach, the one-day delay of Obama’s executive order to end the ban on funding abortions abroad.
What a meaningful move that must be to pro-lifers!
Nominate your own in the comments below!